Low-Income Home Energy Assistance
The application period for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) will begin in most areas on Jan. 9.
This program is funded through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and helps eligible residentsreceive financial assistance for winter utilities.
Eligibility is determined by household size and income.
Arkansas LIHEAP offers two types of benefit payments:
- Regular: fixed benefit that considers the household income, the number of household members, and the type of energy source (e.g., electricity, gas, propane, wood, pellets).
- Crisis: benefit up to a maximum amount established by policy that will prevent disconnection, restore service or provide energy/fuel when supply is gone
In order to apply for LIHEAP, you must apply through the organization that operates within the county you live in.
Franklin, Johnson, Logan, Polk, Pope and Scott – ARVAC (479) 229-4861
|Crawford, Sebastian counties: Crawford-Sebastian Community Development. Call 479-785-2303|
Documents required to apply:
- A photo ID
- Social Security card (household members age 18 or older)
- Social Security numbers (household minors)
- Copies of your most recent utility bills
- Proof of income
- Proof of residency (current utility bills provide proof)
Officials say assistance will be available until April or funds are completely expended, whichever comes first.